Published on August 1, 2014
Ceviche is more of a method than a recipe in which the acid of the lemons and limes is used to ‘cook’ seafood. Shrimp or any fresh seafood or a combination of several seafoods work. Red peppers and onions add colour and texture and cilantro, that unmistakable bite.
- 1 pound extra large or jumbo shrimp
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, ¼-inch dice
- ½ cup diced jicama or mango
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, strained
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, strained
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves, plus some whole leaves for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, mix the lime juice, lemon juice, sugar, red onions, bell pepper, jicama or manog and cilantro.
- Clean and de-vein the shrimp
- Remove the shells
- Place the shrimp in the marinade
- Refrigerate for an hour or until the shrimp turns opaque and firms up a bit
- Cut the shrimp into smaller pieces